My progress on my Fall for Cotton entry, the time is quickly ticking by and I am about 1/3 of the way completed.
Let me start off by saying that never judge a book by it’s cover or in this instance judge a pattern by it’s cover. This pattern that I have chosen for the challenge is McCall’s 4920, circa 1958. The size on this pattern is Junior 15 with a bust and waist size of 35 / 27 . The Colette Hawthorn Pattern shows that a size 4 has the exact same bust and waist size. What a different is sizes, would you rather say I wear a size 15 or size 4?!
The next thing I noticed that this dress takes a total of XX pieces and the sewing guide is only one page. How refreshing not to have 3 or 4 double sided instruction sheets to flip through every time you want to take a look at something. But in truth I think I might be a little lost if I had no experience in sewing. I love that they give yardage and a layout of 35″ fabric. The only fabric I see in most fabric stores today with that width is muslin.
In the fifties the bodice pieces were called waist pieces, how odd and quite frankly I was a little confused for a second when I read it. And where was all the interfacing? The only interfacing that was to be used was in the collar.
I decided to use french seams to finish the insides instead of lining it,
I added another yoke piece so that instead of using an unfinished seam where they joined it would be a clean finish.
I did add interfacing to front facing, no only for stability but because I am using the printed fabric from the skirt to make the front facings and this will help the print from showing through the outside of the bodice.
Will have a bodice fitting Sunday and then it is sleeves and collar installation!
Project Runway Thoughts
After this past weeks episode I have to admit I am relieved to see Ken go, as I am sure that the remaining designers are! To me it wasn’t that his design was the worse, though it wasn’t that great. He used what his PR Super Fan picked out and gave her what she wanted. But he should have explained to her the problems that the fabric would create and lead her towards the right fabric. I was so excited that Justin made it to the top three, it was a wonderful idea to use her signature as the accent on the dress. Helen’s Super Fan was going to be the easiest to make over, it was a dramatic different in her appearance and her dress!